Monday, July 22, 2013

Intern Insight Week 2

My second week at the Department of Public Safety was an eventful and informative one. In the morning, I learned a lot about the Department’s mobile 911 unit, and was quite impressed by the amount of technology that is available to us at the county level. For some reason, I always assumed that county government was done MacGyver style, with very little materials to work with. I am finding more and more that my assumption was very wrong, and that there are in fact a lot of resources available to county level government.
            In the afternoon I attended a county commissioner’s meeting, my first meeting of the sort. What struck me the most was how official the meeting was, yet how it still ran efficiently. Working within county government has shown me that government does work well on a local level, despite the public perception that government does not work well on any level. I am becoming more and more optimistic about local government by working with the Department of Public Safety, and am more at ease trusting them to manage our emergencies, like the pending zombie apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment