Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Intern Insight- Gary, Week 2

My second week here was great. I got to see more behind the scene operations, and was able to attend some meetings which were very helpful. Before this internship I did not know about all the work people in emergency management do on a day to day basis. There is so much time and effort put in to make sure counties are ready for even the worse of disasters.
This week I got to attend a meeting where several counties got together and discussed projects and exercises that each county was currently working on. I enjoyed this meeting because it showed how coordinated central Pennsylvania is. The counties that were involved in this meeting are also planning on doing a group exercise which again shows how coordinated and together our area is. After attending this meeting, I feel pretty comfortable that if a disaster or tragic event were to occur then the situation would be handled the best it could.
Personally I would love to be an emergency management coordinator for my county or have a job that has responsibilities in this field. This week I was able join in a meeting where a new coordinator was being brought up to speed with his/her responsibilities and different materials that would be needed. It was great to have the ability to see how well important information is transferred to new personnel.
Lastly I was able to tag along to one of Pennsylvania’s premier college’s and attend a meeting about an exercise that would test the preparedness of the emergency personnel and the school officials. I don’t think people really know how much thought schools put in to exercises or events that could possibly happen in real life and take the lives of students and faculty. It was such a great experience and it was nice to know that schools do worry about these types of situations and take steps to protect their students and faculty.

No comments:

Post a Comment