Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Intern Insight- Day 1

My name is Christopher Cawley and I am a 4th year student at Central Penn College working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Homeland Security Management. This is my first day interning here at the Cumberland County 9-1-1 Communications Center. As an intern I have been asked to elaborate on what I believe the communications center actually does, since i have come here with no prior knowledge of it.

When I first received word from my academic advisor that I would be interning at the communications center, I can honestly say that I was not excited. With the words "communications center" I believed that I would be "communicating" with the general public in relation to emergency calls. As a 20 year old college student, this obviously did not site too well with me. From the start I was aware that the responsibilities of the communications center included emergency calls, as well as emergency management response. Once I got in touch with my internship coordinator, I noticed that I would be part of the Department of Public Safety. That's when I started to assume more about where I would be doing my internship and honestly had no idea what I could possibly be doing. However, after being here for less than a few hours I have already learned more about this department than I could have imagined. Even a quick 30 minute meeting has helped me to understand so far what I would be doing here and exactly just how important the communications center is. I really look forward to my time here and cannot wait to expand my knowledge of the department. As for now, I can say don't take the of any department literally, since there is bound to be more to it than just "communicating".

*Go to http://bit.ly/wlSeqi to learn more about the Intern Insight Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment